Production Lead Hand – Winnipeg Plant
Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Barkman Concrete Ltd. is a leading manufacturer of precast concrete. Since 1948, Barkman has sustained growth through the contributions of our team members’ commitment to customer service, quality, and innovation products. We currently have an opportunity in our Operations team for a Lead Hand in our Winnipeg plant.
As a Production Lead Hand, you will work closely with the Plant Manager and a team of up to 10 members. In this role, you will be involved with a variety of activities such as continuous improvement, production goals, troubleshooting, training and coaching team members, encouraging a culture of safety and creating a positive team environment. This role will involve physically running machinery as well as observing processes.
To be successful in this role you will have:
People Skills: You will have a passion for developing people and to see them be successful each day. At Barkman our people are our key assets, therefore it is critical in this role to have the skills to build positive relationships, mentor and coach people.
Focus on Quality: You will have an eye for detail and take pride in your and your teams’ workmanship. Barkman takes pride in what we do, therefore a high level of commitment and a can-do attitude towards quality is a vital requirement for this role.
Capacity: You will have a commitment to building a team that is accountable for using continuous improvement tools to efficiently meet production requirements with high-quality standards.
Some of the responsibilities and qualifications for this role include:
- Under the guidance of the Plant Manager, leading a production department in a positive manner to ensure production schedules and initiatives are completed
- Maintaining quality standards for various pre-cast concrete products
- Coaching and training team members in the department on production and safety procedures
- Encouraging ideas, problem-solving and continuous improvement within the team
- Participating and leading team huddles on a daily basis along with updating information boards
- Communicating with the Plant Manager on the status of production progress or any concerns
- Commitment to providing a safe work environment by ensuring safety and company policies and procedures are understood and followed
- Willingness to learn about precast concrete, production processes and various equipment
- Previous manufacturing experience or experience related to precast concrete or concrete pouring and forming an asset
- Have leadership skills that are motivational, positive and geared towards problem-solving
- Experience leading a small team of people
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for training, problem-solving and team-building
- Mechanical aptitude for maintaining molds and equipment
- Ability to understand blueprints and production orders (job travelers)
- Basic computer skills for entering production data and for operating equipment
- Flexible in work schedules and working overtime based on production demand
- Physical activities include: walking, standing, kneeling, bending, lifting up to 50lbs, reaching, using both arms/hands to operate equipment
- Required to wear hard hat, safety glasses, safety shoes, hearing protection, and a respirator when needed for specific jobs which require an employee to be clean-shaven
Barkman offers you group insurance, a retirement savings plan and education subsidies. Wages will be dependent on education, skills, and experience. To learn more about our company and products visit www.barkmanconcrete.com